The History of Dinucci's
Dinucci's was built in 1908 by Mr. and Mrs. Barboni of Occidental, as the Depot Hotel. It served travelers travelling on the Northwestern Pacific Narrow Gauge Railroad that ran through Valley Ford. The railroad started at Sausalito, going to towns and resorts along the Russian River as well as to Cazadero. The trains hauled passengers, lumber and farming supplies. It was dismantled in 1929, however some of the old trestle and hillside grades remain today. The Depot Hotel continued to operate as a rooming house and restaurant.
Henry and Mabel Dinucci bought it in 1939, changing the name in the process. The Dinuccis enlarged the dining room in 1944 and enclosed the wrap around porch in 1945. They continued to rent out rooms upstairs and served family style dinners in the restaurant.
Some of Mabel's recipes are used to this day. The Wagners bought Dinucci's in 1968, continuing to serve Italian dinners, plus adding some new menu items, including the now famous minestrone soup. The children and grandchildren of the Wagners are involved in the family's restaurant today, carrying on the tradition. We celebrated the 100th birthday of the building in 2008.